Standoff in Edmonds

Apartment resident and his son now looking for a new home
By Brian Soergel | Mar 16, 2017
Photo by: Brian Soergel Timothy Danaher and his son, Ryan Grayson, stand outside their apartment, which they can’t enter due to to the after effects of tear gas. They are now living in hotels.

An Edmonds man is temporarily homeless after a burglary suspect broke into his Edmonds apartment and held police and SWAT teams at bay for five hours before giving himself up.

Timothy Danaher, who lives in the apartment at 2901 76th Ave. W, is unable to enter it; the front window was smashed to bits and is boarded up, and police sprayed tear gas and lobbed stun grenades inside. A sign posted on the apartment door notes that “chemical agents have been used on this premises (sic). Entering without proper personal protective equipment will expose you to eye, skin, and lung irritants.”

The Edmonds Police helped him get two nights at a hotel, and Westgate Chapel secured another one, he said. Beyond that, Danaher – who does not have renter’s insurance – doesn’t know where he will be staying.

According to Edmonds Police Sgt. Shane Hawley, the incident began at about 2:30 p.m. Saturday, March 11, when neighbors called 911 to report banging and other loud noises coming from the apartment, which is just south of College Place Middle School.

Police evacuated residents from nearby apartments.

Danaher said he was not in the apartment at the time, but his 18-year-old son, Ryan Grayson, was. A 36-year-old man – which court records identified as Job Quinto, last known address in Edmonds – forced his way into the apartment, armed with a handgun, and refused to leave.

According to documents, the suspect assaulted the occupant – Danaher’s son – and pushed him outside. The son told police the suspect picked up a knife and began breaking items inside the apartment before barricading himself inside.

A negotiator was called to the area, as was the North Sound Metro SWAT team. Numerous police units from around the area converged on the scene, including those from Lynnwood, Mountlake Terrace, Mukilteo and a few from King County.

Hawley said Grayson told police that the suspect was known to him and his father.

“He said he showed up out the blue, came into the apartment and started breaking things,” Hawley said. “(The occupant) didn’t know if he was on drugs or what’s going on. Officers tried to hail the man outside, and he comes out with a firearm at his side. He retreats back inside and our patrol, not wanting to force the encounter, backed off.”

Hawley said a resident reported that he saw the suspect, through the window, with a gun to his head.

The standoff came to a conclusion after a SWAT officer fired at the suspect after the suspect pointed a gun at officers. The Lynnwood Police Department in investigating the officer-involved shooting portion of the incident, Hawley said.

The suspect was not hit, and surrendered about 10 minutes later. No officers were injured.

Court records show that the suspect, arrested for alleged first-degree burglary, a felony, is being held in Snohomish County Jail on $20,000 bail. He has multiple warrants and spent time in jail last year for stealing a car, when a syringe also was found on him.

On Tuesday, Danaher said he worked with the suspect five years ago at Burger King, which is just down the street. “He just randomly came to our house; he was in drug-induced psychosis. When I worked with him at Burger King, he was a straight-up guy, working two jobs. He wasn’t on drugs. He and his brother had helped me move into my apartment, so that’s how he knew where I lived. But he never came over and hung out outside of work.”

Danaher, 44, said the apartment’s landlord “has been pretty supportive” and has contacted the insurance company to find out what can be done. He said he has filed a claim with the Edmonds Police, who are investigating the situation. He has also contacted local relief agencies.

Danaher and his son have not been able to spend more than a few minutes in the apartment to retrieve items.

“The couches are destroyed from the damage of the tear gas,” he said. “It smells bad in there. The tear gas just permeated everything. The clothes all smell bad. Bio Management Northwest told us we had to wash our clothes three times in a row before we could even dry them. It’s really expensive. It was $10 for two loads of laundry.”

Danaher works full time as an apprentice electrician, but has had to take time off to look for housing, financial help, and to look after his son.

“Ryan is pretty traumatized, but he’s OK. I mean, he feels guilty about the whole thing because he was the one at home. He doesn’t want to be there anymore, and I feel violated. My house was like a sanctuary, you know?”

A GoFundMe page has been created to help Timothy Danaher and his son, who are unable to move back into their home. To help, go to


Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.