Police briefs: Body, lost mail, arson

By Brian Soergel | Jun 08, 2017

Detectives investigating body found near Picnic Point

The identity of a body found in a stream Saturday evening, June 3, near Picnic Point is unknown pending a determination by the Snohomish County Medical Examiner.

“Based on the fact that the body had been there for a while, I would expect it’s going to take several weeks to identify the remains,” said Shari Ireton, director of communications with the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office. “It has to be run through the state crime lab.”

Major crimes detectives are investigating the death of the unidentified person, found just northeast of Edmonds. Ireton said detectives are looking back at recent missing persons cases to see if there are any connections, though she said no evidence beyond the remains had been found.

Deputies were called out to the 7200 block of Picnic Point Road around 9 p.m. after two males who had been exploring the area found the human remains.

The identity of the body, as well as the cause and manner of death, are pending from the medical examiner.

Police: A reminder to check your mail every day

A rash of mailbox robberies has Edmonds police reminding residents to check and empty their mailboxes daily.

Patrol officers recovered mail in different locations downtown and in the northern part of the city Saturday, June 10, Sgt. Shane Hawley said.

Upwards of 100 hundred pieces of mail were recovered, some of it opened. The mail was taken to the Perrinville Post Office for redelivery.

This time of year, Hawley said, mail thieves are out looking for graduation cards that may have money in them.

Man accused of arson in Edmonds house fire

A 52-year-old man, who police say was a transient, has been accused of arson after a house in Edmonds was set on fire May 29.

The homeowner was letting him stay temporarily at the house in the 19800 block of 77th Place West for free, according to reports.

Multiple witnesses say they had spoken to the man in the weeks prior and had seen him in the residence just minutes before the fire, said Edmonds Police Sgt. Shane Hawley.

After seeing the man try, unsuccessfully, to enter the front of the house, loud bangs were heard from inside the residence at around 10 p.m. A neighbor saw a red glow and flames coming from the house. Firefighters put the fire out.

Hawley said that a resident in the 7800 block of 199th Street SW heard a noise from the back yard. The resident heard snoring, and found the suspect man sleeping underneath a covered car, located behind the home.

The resident told police that he knew the man as the lone occupant of the house that burned, and knew he was staying there to fix it up. That homeowner also had video footage of suspect running from the area shortly after the fire was reported.

The Fire Marshal investigated the cause of the fire and determined three different ignition points throughout the house. He determined the fire was intentionally set.


Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.