Place names from Edmonds and Meadowdale’s past

Some remain, some don't: Ten-Mile Beach Settlement was the original name for Edmonds
By Betty Lou Gaeng | May 17, 2019
Courtesy of: Clarence Caspers family collection A Texaco service station was on the corner of Third Avenue North and Caspers Street.

As the years pass, the names of places, roads and intersections often change and eventually just disappear, most no longer remembered. However, a few of the old names are still actually in use.

Others have long been forgotten except by a few early residents.

Some of the information given here does come from my own memories of the early days.

In addition, I did rely on some great resources such as A Sense of Place, a Snohomish County Gazetteer provided by Marge Reid and the Sno-Isle Genealogical Society (SIGS), and also the society’s early Edmonds newspaper collection.

ANNA LAKE

This small, bog-like lake is now known as Chase Lake, and is located on 84th Avenue West in Edmonds, formerly the North Trunk Road. The lake is a little over a mile south of Five Corners.

First named for Anna Elizabeth (Galloway) Huber (1850-1917), the lake was located on her 143.98-acre 1888 homestead. When she filed and received her land patent, she was a single woman and a licensed midwife with an office in Seattle.

In 1889, she married Samuel Huber, and they raised their family in what became Esperance. Anna Huber became a well-known midwife in the early days of the community.

ARP WAY

Arp Way is the early name for what is today 196th Street SW (SR 524). It was named for Louis Arp, an early homesteader (1888). James Village and the Trinity Lutheran Church are on land that was part of his 160-acre homestead.

Arp (1865-1939) is credited with the building of the road between Edmonds and what later became the crossroads community of Lynnwood. Because of his wife’s health, Arp and his family moved to downtown Edmonds in the early 1900s.

He later became mayor of Edmonds, and a road commissioner for Snohomish County. Arp was known as the father of the early road system of south Snohomish County.

CASPERS CORNER

Caspers Corner was on the southeast corner of Third Avenue North and Caspers Street in Edmonds, named for James Caspers and his family, whose large farm was located along what we know today as Caspers Street.

Son Anthony Caspers owned and operated Caspers Corner Texaco Station on the southeast corner. When Mr. Caspers opened his station in June of 1926, this location was the northern city limits of Edmonds. He sold the station in June of 1950.

His two sisters, Adrienne and Julia Caspers, were well-known teachers in Edmonds School District 15. Julia married and retired from teaching. Adrienne Caspers never married and remained a popular teacher in the school district for 42 years.

DAHLBERG’s CORNER

Located in upper Meadowdale, Dahlberg’s Corner was named for the Dahlberg family. They lived there and operated a sawmill in the 1920 and 1930s at approximately the southeast corner of 168th Street SW and 52nd Avenue West.

EISEN’s CORNER (Seattle Heights, Highway 99 and 212th Street SW)

Carl Eisen operated a service station and garage on the northeast corner for many years. Eisen and his wife Alice lived next to the garage. Now part of Lynnwood, this location is where Snohomish County Fire District 1 (now South County Fire) had its beginnings.

Adrian Middleton’s store and post office building was located directly across the highway from the garage (a Jack-in-the-Box occupies the area today). Magic Toyota is now located diagonally across Highway 99 from the former site of Eisen’s Garage.

The east side of the intersection was annexed by Lynnwood, and the west side became part of Edmonds.

FIVE CORNERS

This is where 212th Street SW, Main Street, Bowdoin Way, 84th Avenue West/Woodlake Drive join. 84th Avenue West was formerly part of the North Trunk Road system out of Seattle, and was a section of the Seattle route to Everett before Pacific Highway/Highway 99 opened in 1927.

From North Trunk (Five Corners), the road turned east on today’s 212th to Holmes Corner, then north on 76th Avenue West. West to Vaughn’s Corner (76th and 196th Street SW) before heading east on North Trunk West (196th), then north on North Trunk North (36th Avenue West) and east on North Trunk East (164th Street SW) past Martha Lake, to what became known as Wintermute’s Corner.

There it joined the original Pacific Highway (now Everett-Bothell Highway/Highway 527) and headed north to Everett.

FONTAL

Fontal was the name of a town that never was. With the dream that their land would one day carry the name Fontal, in 1871 Joseph Williamson and W. B. Hall filed a plat with the Snohomish County Auditor’s Office for a future town to be named Fontal.

Not a single building or a street ever appeared on their land, and the plat was vacated.

The name was never in use. Consequently, on Jan. 3, 1903, Fontal, the town that never was, ceased to exist. We know the location today as a part of Meadowdale.

FRUITDALE-ON-THE-SOUND (North Edmonds)

Fruitdale-on-the-Sound was a 49-acre real estate development with its beginnings in 1908. One-half-acre and 1-acre tracts were offered for sale. Today, the location of the platted land is from the shore of Puget Sound to Olympic View Drive in the vicinity of Ocean Avenue, Ninth Avenue North, Soundview Place, Southwest Cherry Street and Blake Place.

Fruitdale Creek ran through the plat, and thus the residents had their own mutual water company –Fruitdale-on-the-Sound Water Company. However, in 1930, the Appellate Court upheld a much-disputed court ruling that the water company was a public utility under the control of this state’s Department of Public Works.

According to North Edmonds resident and local historian Leroy Sylvester Keeton (1866-1966), by 1940 the development’s original platting had long been vacated and the land turned into acreage. Even though the plat for Fruitdale-on-the-Sound was never officially recorded, the name may appear as part of the legal description on property records for that area.

GEORGE STREET

George Street was the original name for what is now Main Street in Edmonds. Main Street was first named for George Brackett. Although Brackett is rightfully accepted as the founder of Edmonds, he was not the first landowner and settler on what is known today as the Edmonds Bowl.

HADLEY’S ACRES

Hadley’s Acres was the early name for Esperance. The one-room Esperance School, which was once located on today’s 224th Street SW, was first called Hadley School.

HOLMES CORNER

Holmes Corner, at 212th Street SW and 76th Avenue West in Edmonds, was named for 1880s pioneer homesteader-farmer Samuel Holmes, who made his home there. Edmonds-Woodway High School is now located on the site of the Holmes’ family home and land.

Tragically, Holmes had evidently become mentally impaired, and on July 22, 1918, he committed suicide after he shot and wounded Sevilla Salyers, a neighbor lady who had spurned his advances.

In our day, a sign shows the name of the corner as Holmes Corner. In the early 1900s, the community surrounding Holmes Corner was known as Mountain View.

When present-day 212th Street SW from Five Corners past Holmes Corner to SR 99 was an unnamed and unpaved county road, residents often referred to it as Holmes Road.

LUND’S GULCH

Lund’s Gulch, located in lower Meadowdale, it was the home of the Lund/Deiner family. Since John Lund was the first to establish a permanent home on his land, he was considered the father of Meadowdale.

Lund’s Gulch was about three miles north of Edmonds. Lund filed his homestead in 1878, and the land patent was issued in 1882. Lund and his wife lived in their Meadowdale home until they became elderly. They then moved to Edmonds.

MAPLEWOOD HILL

Maplewood Hill is located at 196th Street SW, west of 76th Avenue West, the steep hill leading west from Lynnwood to Edmonds. This is one of the place names still very much in use.

MEADOWDALE CORNERS

Meadowdale Corners is another name for the intersection at Perrinville – Olympic View Drive and 76th Avenue West in Edmonds. See “Perrinville Corners.”

MOSHER

According to Kroll Map Company’s 1934 Atlas of Snohomish County, Mosher was located a short distance south of Picnic Point and north of Norma Beach on the shores of Puget Sound, a few miles directly west from Lake Serene, in the lower Meadowdale area.

Mosher was a flag station for Great Northern Railway. A post office was established there on June 23, 1892, and discontinued on February 28, 1901. The mail was then sent to Edmonds. Mosher was also a steamer landing.

Before the naming of Meadowdale, when pioneers referred to the area, they often called it Mosher.

PEABODY CORNER

Peabody Corner was the corner of Fifth Avenue South and Dayton Streets in Edmonds. It was named for Monte Cristo founder and mine owner Frank W. Peabody (1855-1930). For many years, Peabody had a real estate and insurance office on the southwest corner of the intersection.

The property was sold by his widow, Kittie Peabody, to Richfield Oil Company, and the company opened a service station in 1941—directly south across Dayton Street from Hughes Memorial Church. The landmark gas station building was under different ownership when it was demolished years ago.

The Bank of Washington later occupied the property for several years. Now the building recently became the home of Sound Credit Union.

Hughes Memorial Church, which had been located on the northwest corner of Peabody Corner since 1924, moved to Caspers Street, and the original Southwest-style church building was razed and replaced by commercial businesses.

Old-time residents of Edmonds may remember when the Fifth and Dayton Street intersection appeared to cater to motorists, with Yost Motor Company on the southeast corner, Harry Cogswell’s Harry’s Shell Service Station on the northeast corner, and the Richfield Station on the southwest corner.

Thus, for a time, these three corners in downtown Edmonds served the burgeoning automobile owners of the area.

PERRINVILLE CORNERS

Perrinville Corners is at Olympic View Drive and 76th Avenue West. See also “Meadowdale Corners.” Perrinville became the home and town site of Carl and Gertie Perrin. In 1938, after learning that Carl had purchased several acres of land northeast of their Edmonds home, Gertie told her husband, “If I’m going out in the sticks, I’m going to start me a town.”

Gertie went to the Everett Courthouse, paid 10 cents, and registered the name “Perrinville” as a town site. The Perrins eventually owned 35 acres of land in this location. Never an official town, some of the land became part of Edmonds, and some was annexed by Lynnwood.

Indeed, three corners are in Edmonds. But the southeast corner – home to The Hook, The Neverending Bookstore and other businesses – belongs to Lynnwood. Despite this, several businesses claim on their websites that they are located in Edmonds.

The Perrins lived there for the remainder of their lives. In its past, eclectic Perrinville became noted for its scantily-clad carwash girls and its very well-known artistic and colorful clown. Painted on the door of an unoccupied automotive garage, for many years the clown drew attention to the building on the southwest corner of the intersection.

Now Perrinville is home to Edmonds’ postal service Perrinville carrier facility.

SCHREIBER LAKE

Schreiber Lake was the original name of Lynnwood’s Scriber Lake. Denmark native Peter Schreiber was the man who in 1888 homesteaded the 160 acres of land where the lake is located. Scriber Lake High School was located in the area, but is now in Edmonds on the campus of the old Woodway High School.

SEATTLE HEIGHTS

With the opening of Highway 99 in 1927, the community center of Seattle Heights became what is today 212th Street SW and SR 99. It was located one mile north of Lake Ballinger and one mile south of today’s Lynnwood Crossroads.

Originally, Seattle Heights had its beginnings a short distance east as a station on the Seattle-Everett Interurban line. The Seattle Heights post office was first established there on July 30, 1910, with Adrian Middleton as the postmaster.

Creating much confusion, a portion of Seattle Heights was annexed by Lynnwood and some of the land by Edmonds.

TEN-MILE BEACH SETTLEMENT

Ten-Mile Beach Settlement was the original name for Edmonds, as shown by the 1880 U.S. Federal Census record. The name designates that the area was 10 miles south from Mukilteo, which was the first county seat for Snohomish County in the Washington territory.

Among those listed on this 1880 census as living at the Ten-Mile Beach Settlement was George Brackett and his family. Further south was homesteader James Purcell and his extended Suquamish Indian family. Later, when Mrs. Brackett (Etta) spoke of Indians living south of them, this native family of homesteader Purcell were the Indians she spoke of – not a tribal settlement.

TOGO SIDING

About four miles north of the center of Edmonds, the first name of the railroad station at what later became the Meadowdale Station was called “Togo Siding.” In 1904, the name Meadowdale was suggested by Robert Maltby and accepted by Great Northern as the name for its station. Maltby thought that the prettier-sounding name of Meadowdale would distract from the distasteful look of the logged and stump-covered land.

VAUGHN’s CORNER

Located at 196th Street SW and 76th Avenue West, a service station was at this corner—probably owned and operated by Hugh and Nellie Vaughn in the 1930s. On a summer evening in 1953, Vaughn’s Corner was the location of a deadly head-on collision between an on-call fire department engine traveling from Eisen’s Garage at Seattle Heights heading north to a brush fire, and a family heading east in their car from a church meeting in Edmonds.

 

 

 

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.