Early morning fire displaces family of 5 in Edmonds

Jul 15, 2018
Courtesy of: South County Fire

An early morning fire caused more than $150,000 damage and displaced a family of five from their Edmonds home.

The fire was reported just before 3 a.m. Sunday, July 15, in the 8300 block of 215th St. SW.

"The father woke to a strange noise," said Leslie Hynes, public information officer for South County Fire. "He went to investigate and discovered the side of his house in flames. He woke his wife and three children. They were able to get out safely and call 911."

A fire investigator determined the fire started in the area of a barbecue on the deck and spread up the side of the house into the attic.

Fire damage left the house uninhabitable. The family has insurance and a place to stay.

July is the peak month for grill fires, according to the National Fire Protection Association. NFPA offers these tips for safe grilling:

  • Propane and charcoal barbecue grills should only be used outdoors.
  • The grill should be placed well away from the home, deck railings and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
  • Keep children and pets at least three feet away from the grill area.
  • Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grills and in trays below the grill.
  • Never leave your grill unattended.
  • Always make sure your gas grill lid is open before lighting it.
Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.