Bad breaks sink Edmonds-Woodway in loss to Glacier Peak | Football

Warriors lose starting quarterback Carr on first play from scrimmage
By David Pan | Sep 12, 2019
Photo by: David R Pan Edmonds-Woodway quarterback Cruze Colwill runs for a touchdown against Glacier Peak.

Edmonds-Woodway started off the week with some encouraging news following a tough 35-14 season-opening loss to Glacier Peak in a nonconference football game Friday, Sept. 6, at Edmonds Stadium.

It was initially thought that senior quarterback Read Carr suffered a broken wrist after being tackled on the Warriors’ first offensive play of the contest.

Edmonds-Woodway coach John Gradwohl said on Monday, Sept. 9, that Carr’s wrist is not broken and the exact nature of his injury will have to wait until the swelling goes down.

The Warriors ran a screen pass to open the game and Carr took a hard hit from a Glacier Peak defender.

“He got his arm trapped between his body and the guy’s helmet,” Gradwohl said. “He took a direct hit to his wrist.”

Carr’s absence didn’t help the Warriors’ offense, which was limited to one touchdown until late in the fourth quarter.

Backup quarterback Cruze Colwill performed admirably under the circumstances and scored Edmonds-Woodway’s first touchdown on a 5-yard run in the second quarter.

“I thought Cruze played a heck of a game,” Gradwohl said. “Losing Read was tough.”

Gradwohl added that he’s always made sure the backup quarterback is ready in case he’s needed. But he wasn’t expecting to have to call on Colwill after the first play of the game.

“I thought our effort was awesome,” Gradwohl said of the Warriors’ performance. “We had some breakdowns. It was first game stuff. Everybody has it.”

The turning point of the game occurred early in the third quarter when the Warriors were attempting a field goal that would have cut the deficit to 21-10. Instead, the Grizzlies blocked the attempt and Ryan Kinney scooped up the ball and returned it 70 yards for a touchdown that extended Glacier Peak’s advantage to 28-7.

The Grizzlies then successfully executed an onside kick and took advantage of the opportunity to score their fourth and final touchdown of the night on a 37-yard pass from quarterback Tyson Lang to wide receiver Brayden Corwin. Edmonds-Woodway’s Alec Rust closed out the game with a 17-yard TD run.

“I thought that the defense played pretty well overall,” Gradwohl said. “We had two turnovers, an onside kick and a field goal blocked. Our angle of pursuit was off. Those are some easy things to fix.”

Edmonds-Woodway opens league play against Shorecrest at 7 p.m., Friday, Sept. 13, at Shoreline Stadium. The Scots beat Marysville-Getchell 14-12.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.