Lake Stevens wins 4A conference title, hands Edmonds-Woodway first loss of season | Prep football

By Megan Managan | Nov 02, 2013
Photo by: Megan Managan Edmonds-Woodway running back Chantz Justice is pulled down by the Lake Stevens defense during the fourth quarter of the Warriors loss.

For the third straight year the Lake Stevens football team beat Edmonds-Woodway to win the 4A Wesco conference title on Friday, Nov. 1.

The Vikings won 53-49, handing the Warriors its first loss of the season.

The teams traded touchdowns all night and Edmonds-Woodway started the game with a 7-0 lead when quarterback Davis Giles passed to Scott Myricks with 6:27 left in the first quarter. Lake Stevens followed suit, and tied the game at the end of the first with a 7-7 score.

Nick Venema scored off a 7-yard touchdown in the second quarter, lifting the Warriors to a 14-7 lead, but Lake Steven's Austin Otis scored with 7:23 to play in the first half.

The Vikings pulled ahead after a 32-yard field goal to make it 17-14 with 3:44 left in the first half.

Giles, not finished yet, threw a 77-yard touchdown pass to Jason Smarr to give the Warriors a 21-17 half-time lead.

After the break, Giles and Smarr teamed up again, extending the Warriors lead to 28-17 with 9:54 in the third.

With 8:57 left in the third, Lake Stevens scored to close the gap to 28-24. But the Warriors again responded with a touchdown when Junior Opoku-Mensah scored, this time with 6:32 left in the quarter. Edmonds-Woodway led 35-24.

The Vikings answered two minutes later, scoring after a 24-yard touchdown run, making it a 35-31 game.

Opoku-Mensah scored with 1:53 left in the third after the Warriors recovered a Lake Stevens fumbled punt. The Warriors led 41-31.

With just 1.1 seconds left on the clock in the third quarter, Lake Stevens scored after a 74-yard touchdown run, lifting the Vikings to a 42-38 score going into the final minutes of the game.

Opoku-Mensah gave the Warriors breathing room with 7:56 left in the game, making it 49-38, but Lake Stevens closed the gap again with another touchdown. Their two-point attempt was good and the Vikings trailed 49-46.

Lake Stevens took control with less than a minute on the clock, scored on a 7-yard touchdown run with 38.6 seconds left. The Vikings led 53-49 to win the game.

The Warriors, 8-1, are now the District 1 No. 2 team going forward into next week's playoffs. They will face the No. 3 team out of the SPSL South league, Federal Way, 7-2 this season, next Friday or Saturday at Edmonds Stadium.

Playoff information will be updated as the tournament are played.

Contact Megan Managan at with sports scores and story ideas. Connect on Twitter @meganmanagan.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.