Fire causes $90,000 damage to Edmonds home
No one was injured in a fire that caused more than $90,000 damage to an Edmonds home Wednesday afternoon..
Dispatchers received multiple 9-1-1 calls around 1:50 p.m. reporting smoke and flames coming from a two-story house at the end of a long driveway in the 8700 block of 236th St. SW.
“Flames were visible in a window above the garage and smoke was coming from the roof when firefighters arrived,” said Leslie Hynes, public information officer for Snohomish County Fire District 1, which provides fire and emergency medical service to the City of Edmonds.
Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire and kept the flames contained to two rooms on the upper level of the home. Fire and heavy smoke damage on the second floor left the house uninhabitable.
Red Cross is assisting the homeowner, a man in his 60s. He does not have insurance.
Fire investigators determined the fire was started accidentally by misplaced smoking materials in a room above the garage.
Firefighters offer these safety tips to prevent smoking-related fires:
- Use ashtrays with a wide, stable base that are hard to tip over. If it wobbles, it won’t work.
- Put it out – all the way, all the time. The cigarette needs to be completely stubbed out in the ashtray.
- Soak cigarette butts and ashes in water before throwing them away. Never toss hot cigarette butts or ashes in the trash.
- Chair and sofas catch on fire fast and burn fast. Don’t put ash trays on them. If people have been smoking in the home, check for cigarettes under cushions.
- Never smoke in a home where oxygen is used. Oxygen makes any fire burn hotter and faster.
- If you are drowsy or falling asleep, put out the cigarette. Never smoke in bed.
- Properly install and maintain smoke alarms on every level of your home and in all sleeping areas.
- Have an escape plan. Plan two ways to escape from every room and practice your escape plan at least twice a year.
- Keep matches and lighters up high, out of children's sight and reach