FD1 firefighters fight 2 MLT blazes

Apr 23, 2013

No one was injured in two unrelated residential fires that kept firefighters busy in Mountlake Terrace Monday afternoon.

The first fire was reported around 2:30 p.m. at a home in the 4500 block of 224th Pl. SW.

A passerby reported flames coming from the back deck. Firefighters had the fire under control in less than 10 minutes, said Leslie Hynes, public information for Snohomish County Fire District 1, which provides fire and emergency medical service in the city of Mountlake Terrace.

No one was injured. Firefighters from Lynnwood assisted Fire District 1. The fire was confined to the deck and a small area of the attic. Damage is estimated at $35,000.

Fire investigators determined the fire started in a flower pot on the deck and was most likely caused by a discarded cigarette or spontaneous combustion of the peat moss in the flower pot.

The second fire was reported about 4:45 p.m. in a detached garage at a home in the 23300 block of 53rd Ave. W.

“Firefighters could see a column of black smoke as they approached the home. The garage was engulfed in flames and torched five tall evergreen trees near the structure,” Hynes said. “The fire also burned a fence and damaged a storage shed on a neighboring property.”

Firefighters from Fire District 1 and Lynnwood responded. No one was injured.

The fire heavily damaged the garage and household items, tools, a boat and motors stored inside.

Investigators estimate the loss at more than $80,000.

“The homeowner told investigators he had just finished mowing the lawn and had stored the lawn mower in the garage minutes before the fire broke out. Fire investigators believe the fire most likely started when the heated-up lawn mower came in contact with combustible items in the garage,” Hynes said.

 

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.