County residential assessments jump 10 percent

By Pat Ratliff | Jul 11, 2013

If you own a home in Snohomish County, keep an eye on your mailbox – you’ll be receiving your new assessment notices soon.

Those are being mailed this week. Notices for commercially zoned property owners were mailed at the end of June.

County Assessor Cindy Portmann said the new values should reflect the market value of properties as of Jan. 1, 2013. Those values will determine the amount of your property taxes due in 2014.

Don’t be surprised if your assessment and taxes are higher.

The assessed value of residential properties in Snohomish County increased by 9.56 percent this year. In 2012, properties were worth $54.85 billion and jumped to a value of $60.09 billion.

Commercial property values increased also, but at a smaller 4.27 percent. Commercial property in Snohomish County in 2012 was worth $22.35 billion and jumped to $23.3 billion in 2013.

Total value of both commercial and residential properties in Snohomish County is now valued at $83.4 billion.

The big question is: “How much will these new figures affect my taxes?” The short answer... you won’t know for a while.

According to the assessor’s website, “Information on how much you will pay in property taxes next year won’t be available until the taxing districts adopt their budgets at the end of this year and any voter approved taxes are added or dropped in 2014.

“In early 2014 levy rates will be calculated and tax statements will be available.

“New tax amounts are usually available from the County Treasurer’s office in February of each year.”

Do you have questions about your property or the assessed value? Call the Residential Appraisal Department at 425-388-6555 or the Commercial Appraisal Department at 425-388-3390.

“If you have questions or concerns about your new values, call my office to talk to an appraiser before filing an appeal before the Board of Equalization,” Portmann said. “Many concerns or issues can be resolved without filing an appeal.”

If you do file an appeal, they must be filed with the board within 60 days of when the notice was mailed. You aren’t required to have an attorney for an appeal, but you need to present evidence, “that the assessor’s value is incorrect.”

If you need appeal forms or instructions, they are available on the Board of Equalization's website at or call the Clerk of the Board at 425-388-3407.   The site also has information on property tax exemptions and special programs.

Your assessed value can vary a lot, depending on the characteristics of the property such as: location, property type, zoning, age and condition.

The new values and the sales used to establish the assessments are available at the assessor’s website:

If you need more information on property tax exemptions and special programs go to the assessor’s website or call 425-388-3433.






Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.